Choosing between satelllite television or a local provider in today’s world is a lot more complicated than it was a decade ago. Cable TV has made a concentrated effort in the last decade to offer the channel variety of a satellite television service, while satellite television has tried to offer the same kind of bundle deals to their customers that make cable subscriptions so appealing to people who like the idea of an all-inclusive bill for their at-home entertainment. While both services can be very rewarding in terms of quality of service and variety, your family’s entertainment needs will have to be ultimately considered if you want to make the best decision possible. In this guide, I will attempt to highlight the best features of each service, how they stack up to each other in terms of quality, and illuminate the potential drawbacks for each.
Cable television offers you an easy opportunity to condense all of your digital services into one package (Phone, tv, and internet.) While some satellite television companies offer similar packages, they usually have to hire a third-party company in order to be able to do so. And with cable television moving into the digital realm a little more every year, they are now finally providing picture quality that you could only previously get with satellite television. Additionally, you never have to worry about bad weather affecting your reception like you would if you were to chose a dish network. Also, many cable companies now offer DVR as part of their digital packages, which allows you to pause, record, and rewind any program you’d like, a service only previously available to satellite customers. If your family’s home entertainment needs center around fast, high-quality internet service, and your television requirements can be satisfied without needing hundreds of channels, a cable television package will definitely suit your needs.
While it may sound like Cable TV is the more appealing option at this point, you must consider a few things; namely, Satellite TV absolutely trumps cable in terms of the sheer variety of programs and content. Dish TV boasts a roster of 250+ channels, and the number is always growing. That includes over 80 PPV channels, whereas cable can only manage about 40. In addition, satellite television offers you a slew of international programming that a cable service simply cannot compete with. Dish TV also consistently outperforms Cable in terms of customer service ratings. But while Dish TV currently has the edge in terms of variety, your access to local programming is pretty limited. And, as mentioned previously, reception can be an issue during inclement weather. Your property will also need to have an unobstructed view of the sky in order to receive optimal reception, which can be a problem for some homeowners.
As far as pricing is concerned, your television needs may be the determining factor. If having television in every room is a must for you, then opting for a cable package may suit your needs better. Satellite companies tend to offer per room fees, which can be expensive in the event that you would like the service to extend beyond one or two televisions. There is also the equipment cost to consider. While opting for a satellite package may cost you more money up front, your monthy bill will more often than not be lower than a cable package, as maintainance costs tend to be lower.
For additional information on cable television, please visit www.comcast.com or www.verizon.com/fios
For additional information on satellite television, please visit www.directstartv.com or www.dish.com
Retirement can be expensive. Transitioning from a steady income to living on a fixed one can be difficult. If you are nearing or currently in retirement there are some ways to stay within budget and reduce your spending. Here are some tips to help reduce your retirement expenses:
Have a Budget
The most important and crucial first step is to create and stay within a budget. Over the course of a few months track and review all of your spending habits. Track things like food, housing, utilities, entertainment, etc. and create categories of spending. Analyze how you are spending money and if needed make adjustments to stay within budget.
Manage Your Costs
If you need to reduce your spending there are some easy ways to accomplish that. Try using coupons, shopping for store brands and even buying in bulk. If you have too much of a bulk item try splitting with a friend. Look for free entertainment in your area at the local library or senior center. Take advantage of shopping senior discounts. Many stores have certain days or hours when seniors receive a special shopping discount.
It may also be possible to lower household costs such as electricity, and water by negotiating with your utility company. They may even offer a senior citizens or income discount. Talk to family members about family cell phone plan to help reduce costs too.
Manage Your Medication
Health care costs are a big concern for seniors. Talk with your health care provider about any generic medications available. Generic medications are often much less expensive. Don’t be afraid to shop around, prescription and medicine prices are not the same at every store.
Most of all continuously review your budget and spending to make sure you are staying on track.
Stoughton ListingsStoughton, MA - $1,375 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:142 minutes agoStoughton, MA - $249,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:10 - Beds:3 - Baths:23 hours agoStoughton, MA - $519,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/114 hours agoStoughton, MA - $239,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:1
West Bridgewater ListingsWest Bridgewater, MA - $274,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2West Bridgewater, MA - $1,700 - Commercial - Year Built:1955 - Acres:14.04West Bridgewater, MA - $379,900 - Single-Family - Other - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1West Bridgewater, MA - $379,900 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1
- Dedham Resident Continues to Give Despite No Internet Connection March 2, 2014Ron Johnston may not have a computer or internet connection, but that's not stopping the 76-year Dedham resident from helping those in need. […]
- Not linked in, but he still reaches out March 1, 2014His check, made out to the Furbush Children's Fund, benefiting two Canton kids, 6 and 3, whose parents died three months apart, arrived here, accompanied by a handwritten plea. […]
- What Are Stoughton's Most Dangerous Intersections? February 28, 2014Earlier this week, Stoughton Patch reported that the intersection of Canton Street and School Street in town was ranked as the third "most dangerous" in the state and 14th most dangerous in New England . […]
- Stoughton Intersection Ranked Third 'Most Dangerous' in State February 26, 2014By John Waller The intersection of Canton Street and School Street in Stoughton has been ranked as the third "most dangerous" intersection in the state and the 14th most dangerous one in New England in a recent study by GoLocal Worcester, an online publication. […]
- Dedham Resident Continues to Give Despite No Internet Connection March 2, 2014
- Milton moves forward with March 10, 2014Milton officials say they are finally moving forward with the sale of the "Town Farm" after receiving state approval to develop the land. […]
- Stoughton-Based Great Scott Kennel Seeks Help With Caring for Puppy Litter March 9, 2014Great Scott Kennels in Stoughton is looking to raise funds to help care for a litter of undernourished puppies. […]
- Updated Stoughton Colonial Includes Breakfast Bar, Skylight Windows March 9, 2014For more information or to set up a showing, call 890-5514 or visit Zillow for the full listing . […]
- an Illegal Hiring for Stoughton Public Schools? March 7, 2014Kudos to Mr. Joachim Soares, a candidate running for Stoughton School Committee, for defending people's right to transparent government. […]
- Milton moves forward with March 10, 2014
- Mass. Man, Stepson Sentenced In Arson Fires March 1, 2014Two Massachusetts men have been sentenced in some of a string of fires set south of Boston in 2012 and 2013. […]
- Fire officials wanted harsher sentences for arson suspects March 1, 2014A judge is under fire over what the state Fire Marshal is calling a dangerous plea deal for two men found guilty of setting a string of fires on the South Shore. […]
- Arson plea deal outrages marshal February 26, 2014HOT SEAT: Jeanmarie Louis and Mark Sargent are charged with three arsons including one on South Main Street in West Bridgewater. […]
- LiveWire: Never know where Ray Mason will turn up next February 25, 2014"Bread Euphoria is a beautiful room with great food, beer and wine," said Mason. […]
- Mass. Man, Stepson Sentenced In Arson Fires March 1, 2014