There are lots of different types of mortgages out there but the most popular mortgage is a fixed-rate mortgage. A fixed-rate mortgage has a fixed interest rate for the entire term of the loan. The interest rate is determined at the loan’s origination. One of the main advantages of a fixed-rate mortgage is that the loan payment amounts will stay the same for the life of the loan and will not fluctuate with interest rate movements.
Lenders offer 50, 30, 20, and 10-year fixed loans. The two most popular are the 30 and 15 year fixed loan. A 30-year fixed loan amortizes over thirty years, with the majority of early payments going toward interest, later payments go mostly toward the principal. A 15-year fixed loan, amortizes over fifteen years, and significantly reduces the amount of interest paid on the loan.
When considering a mortgage understand and measure risks of all the different types of mortgages.
You’ve been thinking about buying your first home and it is a very big decision. It is typically not a decision you make overnight instead you need to take the time prepare yourself. Here are the basic steps that you should follow when it is time to buy a home.
- Ask are you ready? Home ownership is quite different than renting. It is a lot more expensive than renting. You will have added expenses and responsibility. There will be expenses like repairs, added utility costs, such as garbage and water, plus taxes and insurance related to your home. You will want to make sure to have an emergency fund, before you purchase your first home.
- Shop for a loan. Your first step will be to get preapproved. Knowing how much you can afford will help you to look for homes within your price range.
- Figure out how much you can afford. Just because you are preapproved for a certain loan doesn’t mean you can afford that in the real world. A good rule of thumb is to keep your mortgage along with your taxes and insurance between twenty five and thirty percent of your income. You don’t want to be house poor.
- Use a real estate professional you can trust. A good real estate professional will listen to your wants and needs carefully. It is important that you are also educated on the process of buying a home. A good real estate professional will help meet your needs while navigating you through the process and advocating for your best interests.
Featured Property Slideshow
West Bridgewater ListingsWest Bridgewater, MA - $124,900 - Land - Acres:4.23West Bridgewater, MA - $249,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1West Bridgewater, MA - $89,900 - Single-Family - Cottage - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:1West Bridgewater, MA - $435,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1
- This Norwood School Really Rocks December 7, 2013Back in the day, Tom Brunelle and Ed Jackowski knew each other from playing on the local music scene. […]
- Norton Resident Asks for Help with 'Journey Forward' December 5, 2013A Norton resident has taken to GoFundMe.com to ask for help with his an intense exercise program he began after suffering from a spinal chord injury in 2010. […]
- "Casual Male Retail Group, Inc. (CMRG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review" Published December 4, 2013It offers international as well as private brands of men's apparels including jeans, casuals, slacks, tee-shirts, polo shirts, dress shirts, footwear, sportswear and other items. […]
- Cops eye accused trio's ties in Dunkin' holdups December 4, 2013Three men - reportedly all friends - are now accused in several Dunkin' Donut robberies, but cops say there may still be some holes in the story that need filling, and they are investigating whether the trio formed a doughnut shop crime ring. […]
- This Norwood School Really Rocks December 7, 2013
- FY15 Budget Discussion on Stoughton School Committee's Agenda December 9, 2013The Stoughton Teachers Association and the ongoing contract dispute will be on the Stoughton School Committee's agenda for their Tuesday, Dec. 10 meeting at 7 p.m. in the Stoughton High School Television Studio at 7 p.m. The STA will be holding a rally at 5:45 p.m. at the high school before the meeting. […]
- Stoughton High to Host Financial Aid Night December 9, 2013The Stoughton High guidance department invites all students and parents to MEFA Financial Aid Night Wednesday, Dec. 11, in the auditorium at 7 p.m. Any questions, contact Barbara E. Regan, Director of Guidance, Stoughton Public Schools, 232 Pearl St., Stoughton, MA 02072, 781-344-7001 ext. […]
- Countdown to Stoughton Christmas Parade: a Sneak Preview From High School December 7, 2013The Stoughton Christmas Parade was starting to form at Stoughton High Saturday at 2:30 p.m. as the trucks and floats were being put together. […]
- Stoughton Patch's Home of the Day: Life on Dead End Street December 7, 2013If you are looking for a quiet neighborhood on dead street, you might want to check out 21 Doty Dr. in Stoughton. […]
- FY15 Budget Discussion on Stoughton School Committee's Agenda December 9, 2013
- Veterinary Emergency Numbers for the Holidays and After Hours November 26, 2013KEEP A VETERINARY EMERGENCY NUMBER NEARBY YOUR PHONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS AND AFTER HOURS! Keep your veterinarian's phone number nearby just in case of an emergency. […]
- Two arrested in Braintree with 10 pounds of pot from California, police say November 20, 2013Two men were arrested in Braintree on Friday after allegedly trying to pick up a shipment of marijuana sent from California. […]
- Flexible Packager Cuts Energy Costs with Solar Power System November 19, 2013Since 1971, CDF has been an industry leader in sustainable packaging and environmental awareness. […]
- Police Log: Drug Dealing on Commerce Drive, Larceny at the Plaza November 18, 2013To supplement police logs Braintree Patch runs on significant arrests and charges that happen in town, below is information in the daily incident report. […]
- Veterinary Emergency Numbers for the Holidays and After Hours November 26, 2013